"Bringing mirth, merriment, (maybe just a smidge of mayhem) & unconditional enlightenment to the masses through verse, imagery, and any random way I can."
Legalize Trans - Affirm, Include, Appreciate trans and gender-non-conforming people and issues

Sunday, October 3, 2010

OMFG; we're in. Giants win the west!!!!!

Wow, what an emotionally exhilarating and draining day all rolled into one! My boys made it! After two games of complete frustration, the Giants beat San Diego today 3-0 to win the NL West title and punched their ticket to the 2010 playoffs! A place the Giants haven't been since 2003.

I know it's just a game, and blah, blah, blah, but this team is like family to me. My Uncle (who is more like a father to me) got me into them when I was like six years old. He was a life long fan and also a vendor as a teen out at Candlestick back in the 60's. Because of his job at the park, my beloved Granny became a fan from listening to Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons to know when the games were over, so she could go pick him up.

While she was beginning to battle Parkinson's disease, her love of the Giants never wavered. In fact one of the highlights of my life came when I was around 11. It was middle of summer and the Giants were playing a day game against San Diego and best of all it was batting glove day! The problem was there was no one to take me to the game. I was devasted. My Granny stepped up and even though she couldn't get around very well, volunterred to take me to that game. I still get choked up when I think of walking arm in arm with her (the only way she could really walk) into our lower reserved seats that cloudy summer day at Candlestick. I have no recollection of whether the hometowner's won or lost that day, but the thrill of getting my batting glove and more importantly being with my Gran for her last in-person game will live with me til the day I die!

As she gradually succumb to that shitty disease, I'd always make time to sit with her and listen to the games on the radio. Again, it's another memory I will take proudly to the grave.

There have been many, many wonderful & heartbreaking moments that this team have given me and my family, so win, lose or draw, this team is as big a part of me & my family as anyone. So it makes me deliriously happy that on this the day of one of the Giants biggest moments some 59 years ago, that I can proudly pop a bottle of champagne and shout; "We're back in the post-season!!!!" (Something that doesn't happen much in Giantland)

See, the Giants have never won a World Series title since they came to SF in 1958. So neither my Gran, my Uncle or I have ever been able to celebrate that ultimate victory. Which is pretty sucky, but sometimes going through the heartbreak of "almost" is just as much fun as finally achieving that mega-prize. Just the same, the fact that our 2010 Giants have made it this far and gotten back to the play-offs, after a seven year absence is just pure delight and adulation!

So while yes, I know it's just sports, and it's just a game, this team is much more than just a baseball team to me, they are family! And I couldn't be happier at this very moment! I know somewhere out there, my Gran is smiling at the fact that we have another chance at gaining that ultimate baseball prize.

So Gran & Rich, I write this is for you! I love you both more than words can say, and in the words Kevin Mitchell & Will Clark; "Let's get the job done...It's done!!!!



Here is a shot of my Uncle's precious lil girl, Julia at our family "brick"; McCovey Cove at AT&T Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment